[Heads-up] Certificate authority root expiry
If you are having recent issues with the Darkmyst server certificates, chances are your problem is with Let's Encrypt's cross-signing root certificate expiring today. Darkmyst's certificates are not reliant on this root certificate, but this allowed devices that only know the old root certificate to verify the certificate validity until the expiration date - it's these devices which are now having problems.
If you're affected by this problem, you will unfortunately have to check your operating system's instructions as to how to update your trusted certificate storage with the new Let's Encrypt root, as it differs from device to device. However, here are some instructions gathered from around the web:
- mIRC users will need to update to the most recent beta release to update the way the program interacts with the Windows certificate store. Refer to the discussion on the mIRC forums for details.
- If this does not work for you (or you don't want to use the beta release), enable "Display invalid certificates for approval" in the dropdown in in Options > Connect > Options > [SSL...]. This will let you accept the ostensibly invalid certificate and connect anyway.
- Windows 10 should already have updated months ago, but if the certificate is missing for some reason, navigate to https://valid-isrgrootx1.letsencrypt.org/, which should prompt you and let you add the certificate to your trust store. If it does not, you can also download the ISRG Root X1 .der file from the Let's Encrypt website and double-click it for an install wizard.
- According to Let'sEncrypt, MacOS and iOS (iPhones, iPads, etc) may be fixed by a simple restart. Let us know if this works!
- Linux users probably already know how to handle this while swearing up and down. If you know a good guide, please let us know, we'll be happy to link to it here!
If you need additional assistance, use a web IRC client such as Mibbit to come to
#help, we help you as soon as someone is at keyboard to do so.
— Dread/Valcen (paralysis.tx.us.darkmyst.org Server Administrator)